Sunday 4 May 2014

Romsey Revisited

On April 26th and 27th I was invited to visit the Romsey Circuit. It was in Romsey that Robert and I had our first home and when we were living here, I responded to the call to preach.
On Saturday afternoon we joined an ecumenical group from churches around the circuit for a bluebell walk.
On the bluebell walk
We were fortunate to have good weather and the bluebells were in full bloom. The woods are on a farm belonging to Bradley and Susan and after the walk we were welcomed into the farmhouse for tea - delicious scones and cakes and very good fellowship. Susan loves horses and, as I do too, I was very happy to be able to take a little time to meet her thoroughbred ex race-horse, a very beautiful animal.
On Sunday morning I was preaching in Romsey Methodist Church.
Jason Elkin was welcomed as a Local Preacher
During the service, Jason Elkin was welcomed as a Local Preacher and I was able to read the letter I had written and present him with a Bible. The Bible is the only symbol of the authority of the Local preacher - no more is needed. The service was led by Rev. Stella Long, the Superintendent Minister and our worship was enhanced by the music group and by the organist, Peter Mesher. Peter had been the choirmaster when Robert and I were members of the Circuit choir.
It was good to visit this circuit and to meet with and be reminded of people who had been such a strong influence in my Christian journey.

 Romsey Town Centre

New Forest Ponies
Romsey Methodist Church

Julia (our friend and hostess), Peter and Robert sharing memories
Beautiful light in the New Forest - just before the storm broke.

No comments: