Monday 22 October 2007

Cream of Cornish hospitality


Well, what a weekend it was. I arrived in Truro last Friday morning around 7am having travelled down on the sleeper after work - an interesting experience and a great use of time. Chris Blake, Chair of Cornwall District, kindly met me and whisked me home where he and his wife Joy began their weekend of superb hospitality. I bumped into a sleepy looking President briefly (a bit like the photo here) and then set off on a full programme of events.
First of all we visited St Petroc's homelessness project where I was able to meet the Chair and Chief Executive and some of the staff and visit a newly refurbished house. It is great work with homeless single people in Cornwall. Then we met with Rose Westwood, the Chaplain on the University Campus of Tremough where two Universities are sited. We met a range of people there including staff, a Methodist Student and the Welfare President of the joint Sudent Union. (We also met a poorly rabbit but that wasn't on the agenda). It was really interesting to hear of the work there and share with the folk making things work on this relatively new campus. Hope to hear more of the good work there. Then Chris whisked me off to Truro School where, after lunch, I gave the Burrell lecture to fifth and sixth formers. The lecture was named after a previous headmaster who had also been Vice President of the Methodist Conference. I really enjoyed meeting with the young people and hope they are now having an enjoyable half term. From there to Gwennap Pit which was fascinating for me as I had heard so much about it and never seen it before - also good to hear a little more from the experts there. After a lovely visit to Pamela Luke, another ex Vice President, we went to Bob Senior's home for a fabulous dinner then a Celebration service at Penzance wher Martyn and I shared in leading a Bible Study.
Saturday morning I led an event at Truro Methodist Church where it turned out I had met the minister, Mark, before - at a 40th birthday party! I enjoyed sharing with the people there as we thought about being a Christian at work. (I also enjoyed hearing that Mark's father in law had accepted eagerly what he thought had been an invite to something beach due to being a little hard of hearing!) In the afternoon Celia Phillips whisked me off to the Eden project which was wonderful and the company was good too. Martyn has given you a flavour of the Civic service on Sunday which came after we had been interviewed by Naomi Kennedy of Radio Cornwall (haven't managed to track you down on facebook Naomi!). However, Martyn failed to tell you of his fabulous address which played a big part in making the Civic service such a success. Then on the train home for me, leaving Martyn to enjoy a bit more of that Cornish hospitality. Thanks everyone.

No comments: